This position is responsible for the management of an effective and efficient communications program for the Iowa Corn Promotion Board and Iowa Corn Growers Association. It initiates and manages communications projects, specifically for Public Relations and Media, with other internal departments in the areas of research, marketing, public policy and grower services, ensuring that the organizations’ image is consistently and appropriately communicated in the various target segments.
Essential Position Accountabilities:
- The incumbent manages in cooperation with the Director of Marketing & Communications and in collaboration with the department team
- Media outreach/relations;
- Press releases, speeches, and talking points;
- Actively pitching stories;
- Respond to media inquiries;
- Work in cooperation with national and state partners on public statements;
- Media buying for the organization and specific programs;
- Coordinate communication activities with Government Relations on Calls to Action and other communication with legislators;
- Prepare directors and staff for media interviews;
- Develop the annual media and PR budget for the organization;
- Communications & Public Relations-related projects as needed including photography, presentations, pictures management, and design (posters, brochures, etc.)
- The incumbent serves as public relations lead for
- Activities and projects implemented by the advertising/Public Relations agency of record for Iowa Corn, e.g., Food & Fuel, Iowa Corn 300, Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk, Iowa Corn Discovery Tour, CommonGround, etc.;
- Grassroots programs and other key projects;
- Media training in cooperation with Training Manager
- Contributes to communication programs with state corn check off organizations, state commodity groups and national agricultural organizations.
- Develops and maintains contacts with media in multiple platforms.
- Develops and maintains relationships with communicators in government, industry and other agricultural organizations.
- Manages information, research, and data retention on corn facts, industry, trends, etc. as resource for staff and directors.
- Serves as primary information source for external questions and concerns, as well as responding to general inquiries about corn and Iowa’s corn organizations. Also manages Communications Department files.
This position also initiates or is directed by the Chief Executive Officer to perform additional duties or tasks to support the Iowa Corn Grower’s mission.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Education/Experience: Bachelor’s degree (BA) in related field from four-year college or university plus minimum of three to five years’ related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Expertise preferred in public relations, media relations, marketing, and communications. Ability to manage multi-level projects in a high volume, ever-changing environment. Understanding and awareness of agricultural socio-economic and environmental issues necessary. An ag background if helpful; a farm background is required.
- Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedures annuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, farmers, customers, and the general public.
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Certifications, Licenses, and Other Registrations: Valid Drivers’ License required. Accredited in Public Relations (APR) certification desirable.
- Personal Computer/Office Skills: Ability to create “table of contents” documents, create and perform various data sorts on spreadsheets. Advanced Internet search skills, advanced Word documents skills; media tracking tools. Ability to create advanced Power Point presentations; ability to maintain web site. Photography experience, photographic cataloging, and graphic proficiencies necessary.
- Supervisory Responsibilities: None
- Other Skills and Attributes: Ability required to write memoranda and reports that conform to style and format, effectively utilizing creative skills.
- Travel: In-city travel is required with limited out-of-town travel with stays of two to three days and infrequent travel up to five days for annual meetings such as Commodity Classic.
- Represents Iowa Corn positively, professionally, courteously and effectively.
- Assists or takes on new tasks to help Iowa Corn achieve its mission.
- Maintains confidentiality regarding personnel and organizational information.
- Shows sensitivity and respect for the cultural and ethnic diversity of members, staff and other community members and groups.
- Adheres to Iowa Corn’s Code of Ethics at all times.
This is a full-time salaried position with an excellent benefits package and work environment. The position is based in the Iowa Corn office in Johnston, IA.
All inquiries and information will be handled in strict confidence. Interested parties should contact:
Hedlin Ag Enterprises
Ankeny, IA 50021