Iowa Beef Industry Council (IBIC) staff works independently and/or as a team to promote beef and beef products with the express intent of improving beef’s competitive position and to stimulate demand for beef. The IBIC is funded by a $1 per head checkoff by cattle producers on all cattle sold in the state of Iowa and operates under the federal Beef Promotion and Research Act and Order.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Executive Director is the chief staff officer of the IBIC, reporting to the Board of Directors (Board) and elected executive officers. The Executive Director will assist the officers and directors in their duties; recommend and participate in the formation and implementation of IBIC’s policies; employ and provide staff oversight and manage the IBIC in an efficient manner in accordance with the policy and budget. This person will also be responsible for liaison with national program communications, oversight and deliver several state-based programs, such as nutrition, issues management, education, international marketing, etc.
Manages four employees in accordance with the IBIC’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include recruiting, interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. As Executive Director, the individual is charged with creating a strong IBIC team and continually leading them toward accomplishing IBIC’s strategic plan and goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. Other duties and program responsibilities will be required and/or assigned.
- Plans, coordinates, and controls the daily operation of the organization through the organization’s staff
- Administers and monitors, with oversight from the Board and office staff, the beef checkoff collection system for Iowa, including development of collection procedures consistent with the Beef Promotion and Research Act and Order
- Oversees the adequacy and soundness of the organization’s financial structure
- Oversees the coordination, monitoring and compliance of state programs with national programs.
- Coordinates and directs staff in implementing all advertising, promotion, education and research activities of the IBIC
- Assumes responsibility for development, implementation and evaluation of goals, objectives, policies and procedures to achieve IBIC’s strategic plan as approved by the Board
- Develops the yearly budget and marketing plan with input from staff and Board
- Establishes and maintains an effective system of communications throughout the organization
- Represents the IBIC to various beef, ag industry and consumer audiences as well as trade and consumer media
- Maintains contact and effective working relationships with national beef industry organizations, other state beef councils, Iowa dairy organizations and Iowa Cattlemen’s Association
- Maintains positive relationships with state educational organizations in the disciplines of agriculture, human nutrition and health, and consumer sciences
- Manages program areas which may include international marketing, consumer information, issues management, human nutrition, and/or producer communication. Delivery of programs will be dependent upon qualifications
- Baccalaureate degree or higher in agriculture, human sciences or related field. At least four to ten years related experience required and a thorough understanding of the beef industry and related industry organizations
- Successful experience in a leadership position involving supervision of employees and responsibility for a budget
- Proficient in verbal and written communication. Proficient in Microsoft products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Strong knowledge of social media usage including Facebook, Twitter, etc., and working knowledge of digital marketing
- Ability to deal with a wide range of people in a positive manner
- Prior experience in partnering with a board of directors is preferred
- Prior experience in working with a board of directors
- Certifications/credentials in related fields deemed advantageous to IBIC’s strategic plan.
The Iowa Beef Industry Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all employment laws and regulations.
FOR MORE INFOMRATION ABOUT THE POSITION
Iowa Beef Industry Council
Email resume, cover letter, salary history and references to:email@example.com
APPLICATION DEADLINE – June 1, 2015